This page contains the submission guidelines and requirements. Please read all the information on this page before submitting an entry.
- The submission deadline is 11:59 PM Wednesday 10th August 2022 (Melbourne time, UTC +10:00); entries received past this time will not be considered.
- To enter a project into the competition, the completed research project must be submitted via an online submission form.
- The online submission form will be made available in July 2022. We recommend that the submission form is completed on a desktop computer.
- The submission form can be completed by a School Contact (including home school) or student team.
- If you are submitting multiple entries; you must complete the submission form again for a different entry.
- We recommend that you avoid delaying the submission until the day of the deadline to avoid issues and allow time for changes if needed.
School Contact Details
- The School Contact must provide their full name, email, contact number, and school (including home school).
Student Team Details
- All students in the team must provide their full name and year level.
- The team must nominate one student as the Corresponding Author and provide that person’s email.
- A declaration form must be completed and uploaded as part of the submission process.
- The declaration requires signatures from the School Contact and the students in the team, declaring that the submitted project is the students' own work.
- If a team comprises students from different schools, one declaration form must be completed and uploaded for each school.
- If Section B of the declaration form is not signed by a School Contact, the entry will not be eligible to be shortlisted as a Finalist.
- If the declaration form is not adequately filled out, the entry will not be considered.
- If a submission is missing the required information (contact details, declaration form, project files), it will not be considered.
- We recommend that you gather the contact details for all relevant persons and project files well ahead of the submission deadline.
- Only files submitted through the online submission form will be considered for judging.
- Do not send files to the Outreach Team via email; these will not be considered.
- See below for further details regarding file upload requirements.
File Upload Requirements
- The submission form will accept the following types of project outputs with specific file extensions:
- Written report: .pdf
- Static visual display (e.g. image/figure, photograph, poster, infographic, slideshow, spreadsheet): .pdf
- Code/programming script: .pdf
- Video: .mp4, .mov, .avi, .flv, .mkv, .wmv
- Audio: .m4a, .mp3, .mp4, .wav, .wma
- It is possible to submit a project comprising more than one output type (e.g. written report plus static visual display).
- If the project is a written report that comprises sections involving code/programming script; it can be included in the report as part of the appendices and does not need to be uploaded separately.
- Any code or programming script should be presented in PDF format, clearly labelled with a page break between separate scripts.
- There is a size limit of 100 MB for each file.
- Only one file is permitted for each type of project output.
- All files must be related to the project.
- File extensions which will not be accepted by the submission form include: .rar, .zip, .exe, .ppt, .pptx, .pptm, .pps, .ppsx, .ppsm, .xls, .xlsx, .xlsm, .csv, .txt, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .htm, .html, .xlm, .doc, .docx, .r, .py, .m, .c, .cs, .java, .pl, .sh.
- It is the students’ and School Contact’s responsibility to ensure:
- the project files comply with the above requirements,
- the project files are converted to the acceptable file extensions if necessary, and
- all uploaded files are not corrupt (unable to be opened).
- Files which do not comply with the file requirements will not be accepted by the submission form.
- Files which cannot be opened will not be considered.
- Files not received via the submission form will not be considered.
- Video and audio files must not exceed 5 minutes in length.
- Written reports must not exceed 20 pages in length. This page limit excludes any tables, figures, appendices or references. There is no minimum page requirement.
- A slide show visual display must not exceed 20 slides. This slide limit excludes any tables, figures, appendices or references. There is no minimum slide requirement.
- Please exercise reasonable judgment when deciding on the size of other types of project outputs.
Updating a Submitted Entry
- It is the School Contact and students’ responsibility to ensure all details and files are correct. A confirmation email will be sent to both the School Contact and Corresponding Author upon completion of the submission form. Check junk/spam/promotions folder if the confirmation email is not in the inbox.
- If you need to make changes to a submitted entry, email us (email@example.com) with as much detail as possible and we will send you a link to update the submission. DO NOT email any files to us; they will not be considered.
- If you make multiple submissions for the same entry (same project and team); the Outreach Team will process the most recently submitted entry.
A link to the online submission form will be added here when it becomes available.