Micro Mathematicians is an enrichment program aimed at advanced Y5/6, Y7/8 and Y9/10 students who have an interest in maths beyond the classroom. The program offers a range of free virtual and in-person workshops throughout the year and new workshops are continually being added. If you have questions about this program, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What will students do?
Students will take part in a variety of activities across a range of topics designed to promote mathematical investigation at a high level.
Activities may include:
- Problem solving
- Modelling and simulation
- Data visualisation
- Mathematical/statistical games
- Oral presentation
- Debate and discussion
Topics may include:
- Number Theory
- Data Analysis
- Statistical Modelling
- Mathematical Biology
While the primary goal is to offer extension in mathematics and statistics, this program will help students develop skills in communication, collaboration, and literacy.
This program is suitable for enrichment/extension classes. If you have students whom you feel would benefit from the program, you are welcome to download and distribute our flyer in your classroom(s).
- Upcoming workshops will be published here as they become available.
- Interested students must apply via our online application form.
- Note that all workshops for students in year 5/6 will be virtual only.
- There will be a mix of virtual and in-person workshops for students in years 7 to 10 (hybrid option not available).
- The majority of in-person workshops will take place at the University of Melbourne Parkville Campus.
- Session topics will be communicated to successful applicants and may change depending on demand.
- All sessions are: free, generally 90 minutes long, and stand-alone.
|Year level||Mode||Date||Time*|| Application |
|Year 5/6||Virtual||Tuesday 27 June 2023||9:30 AM - 11:00 AM|
|Virtual||Tuesday 27 June 2023||1:30 PM - 3:00 PM|
|Virtual||Wednesday 28 June 2023||9:30 AM - 11:00 AM|
|Year 7/8||Virtual||Thursday 29 June 2023||9:30 AM - 11:00 AM|
|Wednesday 5 July 2023||11:00 AM - 12:30 PM|
|Year 9/10||Virtual||Thursday 29 June 2023||1:30 PM - 3:00 PM|
|Friday 7 July 2023||11:00 AM - 1:00 PM|
|Applicants will be notified by email, two weeks before the workshop date, whether they have been accepted into a workshop session.|
As places on the program are limited, students are required to provide the following as part of their application:
- A copy of their most recent school report, ideally indicating they are achieving an advanced level in mathematics.
- A brief statement written by the student (max 200 words) addressing:
- why they would like to participate in the program, and
- what areas of mathematics and statistics interest them.
- There are multiple sessions on each date; these will be listed in the application form.
- Applications should be completed by a responsible adult and will be processed by the Outreach Team.
- Applicants who were previously offered a session are required to submit a new application if they wish to be considered for future sessions. Previous participation does not guarantee an offer for a future session.
- Please only apply for the workshops under the student's current enrolled year level at school.
- Applicants will be notified by email, two weeks before the workshop date, whether they have been accepted into a workshop session.
- Please refer to 'Upcoming Workshops' tab for application cut-off dates.
The Micro Mathematicians program is part of the Victorian Challenge and Enrichment Series, and is supported by the University of Melbourne School of Mathematics and Statistics and the Victorian Government.
Click here to join our mailing list and you'll be notified about new and upcoming outreach offerings relevant to you.