Get help choosing subjects and planning your course.
Several resources are available to help you choose your subjects.
All students who are planning to do any mathematics and statistics subjects and especially those who plan to major in Mathematics and Statistics are encouraged to obtain course advice through one or more of the options below.
Individual course advice from a mathematics and statistics course adviser
Students are welcome to meet a mathematics and statistics course adviser for help choosing subjects or planning their course.
During October: appointments can be booked through an online booking system.
Appointments for October 2019 are now fully booked, sorry.
Other times of year: ask at the Mathematics and Statistics General Office, ground floor, Peter Hall building, for the name and location of a relevant course advisor.
Course Advice for Undergraduates booklet
The Course Advice for Undergraduates booklet contains information about mathematics and statistics subjects, majors and specialisations in one convenient booklet. It is updated in October each year.
The booklet contains information about:
- The Mathematics and Statistics, Computational Biology, Data Science and Mathematical Physics majors of the Bachelor of Science
- The specialisations within the Mathematics and Statistics major or Diploma in Mathematical Sciences
- Recommended mathematics and statistics subject choices to complement other majors
- Information about individual subjects offered by the School of Mathematics and Statistics
Hard-copies can be obtained from the School of Mathematics and Statistics General Office, ground floor, Peter Hall building, or at the course planning information session.
Course planning information session
The information session includes:
- an overview of each specialisation in the Mathematics and Statistics major and the Computational Biology, Data Science and Mathematical Physics majors
- recommended level-2 and level-3 subjects to choose for each of the majors and specialisations
- question and answer time
Next Steps displays
Posters of sample course plans and careers profiles are displayed in the main corridor of the Peter Hall building during October.